BERWYN Shares New Song + Video “Path To Satisfaction”
2022 has been a transformative year for BERWYN. The Trinidad-born, UK-raised rapper, singer, songwriter and producer shot to fame channelling the raw and authentic experiences of London life into his music – a process that has awarded him widespread acclaim including a top three finish in the BBC’s “Sound Of” poll, a Mercury Prize shortlist and an NME Award – but he still felt something was missing.
This year however, BERWYN finally returned to his Trinidadian birthplace following years of passport and visa issues that had shadowed him since arriving in the UK at the age of nine. After years away, he was reunited with his family – including his father and grandparents – during a genuinely enlightening trip. Upon his return, a tidal wave of
memories flooded back, from the sight of the traditional pastime “pitching marbles,” the smell of smoked herring and the sound of local bird song – a sound his father used to obsessively record on a walkman and playback throughout his childhood.
Today, BERWYN returns with “Path To Satisfaction,” his first new music of 2022. Looser, warmer and more expansive than his previous DEMOTAPE/VEGA and
TAPE2/FOMALHAUTmixtapes, it’s a track that sees BERWYN looking back at the harder edges of his previous life and considering the trappings of what the future could hold. The single is accompanied by a LOOSE-directed music video that was shot during the Trinidad trip. Opening with BERWYN performing a stripped-back version of the song to his father and auntie, it erupts into full technicolor, taking the viewer on a vivid tour through BERWYN’s Trinidad.
Speaking further about the track BERWYN explains: “”Path To Satisfaction” recognizes the change that comes with growth. It acknowledges the path towards realizing my identity and anticipates the future of Berwyn, that a man can have two homes and his body will know the difference.
And in an Instagram post he adds: “It’s funny how perfectly this new music centers around everything that’s been going on. I spent the last 365 days in an identity crisis, trying to figure out wagwan, who am I? It’s the story being told in real time. I guess it’s because I kinda just open up the page and write whatever’s going on in this moment, so that always leaves me safe for that. I feel like it is the human struggle to question and figure out who the self is and I feel like this new music does that. In all the multifaceted ways, the exploration of the self manifests. I figured out I could be all of these people in one.”
Watch and listen to “Path To Satisfaction” above, see upcoming live dates below and stay tuned for more from BERWYN soon.
Upcoming Tour Dates:
- 11/22 – Dublin, Ireland @ Workman’s Club
- 11/24 – Edinburgh, Scotland @ Caves
- 11/25 – Leeds, UK @ Headrow House
- 11/26 – Manchester, UK @ YES
- 11/28 – Birmingham, UK @ Hare and Hounds
- 11/29 – Bristol, UK @ Exchange
- 11/30 – Brighton, UK @ Audio
- 12/2 – London, UK @ Islington Assembly Hall
- 1/26/2023 – Paris, France @ Le Point Ephemere
- 1/27/2023 – Brussels, Belgium @Botanique Rotunde
- 1/28/2023 – Amsterdam, Netherlands @ Paradiso
- 1/30/2023 – Cologne, Germany @ Yuca Club
- 1/31/2023 – Hamburg, Germany @ Bahnhof Pauli
- 2/1/2023 – Copenhagen, Denmark @ Vega (Ideal Bar)
- 2/2/2023 – Stockholm, Sweden @ Hus7
- 2/4/2023 – Oslo, Norway @ Krosset
- 2/7/2023 – Berlin, Germany @ Berghain Kantine
- 3/14/2023 – Glasgow, UK @ King Tuts Wah Wah Hut
- 3/15/2023 – Leeds, UK @ Brudenell Social Club
- 3/16/2023 – Manchester, UK @ Canvas
- 3/18/2023 – Birmingham, UK @ 02 Institute
- 3/19/2023 – Nottingham, UK @ Rescue Rooms
- 3/20/2023 – Bristol, UK @ Thekla
- 3/26/2023 – Brighton, UK @ Chalk
- 3/27/2023 – London, UK @ KOKO