The Bebble Rock virtuoso Kabaka Pyramid is set to release his sophomore album titled, ‘The Kalling’ on Friday September 30. This fifteen-track masterpiece produced by Damian ‘Jr Gong’ Marley, features some of the reggae icons most frequent collaborators like Damian Marley, Protoje, Black Am I, Jesse Royal, as well as some new ones like Buju Banton and Stephen Marley. This second installment in Kabaka’s album discography is a symphony of excellent songs; the clearest most accurate musical statement about evolution of his song craft. An album worthy of all play, no skips.
The name “Kabaka” is Ugandan for “King” and the long-lasting survival of the Pyramids of ancient Africa represent his desire for longevity in the music and deep connection to Kemetic roots; leaving messages for generations to come. Kabaka Pyramid is well known for songs like Warrior, Well Done which focused more keenly on local systemic issues, and Reggae Music that took on a life of its own. His debut album Kontraband, was met with critical acclaim, containing hits such as Kontraband featuring Damian Marley, Kaught Up with a popular music video that found home on BET, and Reggae Music.
Of his recent singles Make Things Work, Red, Gold & Green featuring Damian Marley, and Grateful which features Jemere Morgan and the title track The Kalling feat. Stephen Marley were the four leads for this new album. The album not only puts on display Kabaka’s skill in making great songs, but also telling stories of redeemable social value. Addiction for instance tells a story of unhealthy relationships most of us have with social media and puts that under a thoughtful microscope for public discourse.
‘The Kalling’, is a powerful sequel for Kabaka because he is able to perform all the duties of his role as artist to culture and society, while fulfilling his duty to himself to improve his dexterity with the medium. Scheduled for a September 30, release, Kabaka’s latest offering adds to what is now a tradition of strong albums with reggae sounds juxtaposed against diverse music from funk to jazz and even hip hop.
The album features production from Damian Marley, Stephen Marley, Young Pow and Kabaka Pyramid himself, another tradition carried over from the previous album.
This fifteen-track marvel provides a sufficient platform for Kabaka to update old and new listeners about his growth and changes since his first album.
The production highlights the richness of Reggae music, from the keen perfection of percussion and bass to the sampling of iconic songs of Junior Byles in Faded Away featuring Buju Banton, Peter Tosh in Mystic Man, or Eddie Fitzroy in EZ Ride. Damian ‘Jr Gong’ Marley exemplified the richness of Reggae through each production while Kabaka Pyramid honed in on his lyrical craft, delivering through provoking topics while captivating the listener.
“The Kalling is really about my journey in music being for a higher purpose, not just to get rich or popular, but to inspire a higher vibration in whoever listens. While the majority seek pleasure and sense gratification, there are a few who the Most High kall upon to keep the balance inna earth. Music is what I use to answer the kall and you can feel it throughout this album. I think my audience will see the growth in my song writing and delivery, along with Zilla’s top notch and diverse production, making it easy to follow me on this journey from start to finish – no filler tracks to be skipped” says Kabaka when asked his thoughts on the new release.
Following the release of his sophomore album “The Kalling”, Kabaka will be heading on tour throughout the US with supporting acts Nattali Rize and Jordan T. The Kalling US Tour kicks off on October 4th in Seattle Washington, through November 13 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Tickets are on sale to public now via www.kabakapmusic.com/tour.
The Kalling US Tour Dates
- Oct 4, 2022 – Nectar Lounge – Seattle, WA
- Oct 5, 2022 – Jack London Revue – Portland, OR
- Oct 7, 2022 – SLO Brew Rock – San Luis Obispo, CA
- Oct 8, 2022 – The Alpine – Reno, NV
- Oct 9, 2022 – Cornerstone – Berkley, CA
- Oct 11, 2022 – Arcata Theatre Lounge – Arcata, CA
- Oct 12, 2022 – Felton Music Hall – Felton, CA
- Oct 13, 2022 – Ventura Music Hall – Ventura, CA
- Oct 14, 2022 – Winstons – San Diego CA
- Oct 16, 2022 – Venice West – Venice, CA
- Oct 17, 2022 – Hopmonk Tavern – Sebastopol, CA
- Oct 18, 2022 – The Crazyhorse – Nevada City, CA
- Oct 21, 2022 – Ophelia’s Electric Soapbox – Denver, CO
- Oct 22, 2022 – Brues Alehouse – Pueblo, CO
- Oct 27, 2022 – Brooklyn Made – Brooklyn, NY
- Oct 28, 2022 – Hawk and Reed – Greenfield, MA
- Oct 29, 2022 – Westerly Sound at Knickerbocker Music Center -Westerly, RI
- Oct 30, 2022 – Bill’s Bar – Boston, MA
- Nov 1, 2022 – Spirit Lodge – Pittsburgh, PA
- Nov 2, 2022 – Soundstage – Baltimore, MD
- Nov 4, 2022 – Salvage Station – Asheville, NC
- Nov 5, 2022 – One Life to Love Festival – St. Croix Virgin Islands
- Nov 8, 2022 – Jannus Live – St. Petersburg, FL
- Nov 9, 2022 – Terra Fermata – Stuart, FL
- Nov 10, 2022 – 1904 Music Hall – Jacksonville, FL
- Nov 11, 2022 – The Ranch – Fort Myers, FL
- Nov 12, 2022 – Ocean Deck – Daytona, FL
- Nov 13, 2022 – Culture Room – Ft Lauderdale, FL