The biggest search engine in the world, Google, is honoring Nigeria on its website with a unique doodle as the nation holds its general election on Saturday. The doodle displays an image of an electoral ballot box and the traditional Nigerian colors of green, white, and green.
When the doodle is clicked, a new page appears with information about the 2023 general election timetable and updates from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). Next, the cursor reveals the doodle’s “Nigeria National Elections 2023” text.
Around the world, the doodle has been used to honor various historical personalities and occasions. For example, on this day, The Google doodle commemorates a momentous day when Nigerians elected President Muhammadu Buhari’s successor.
Prof Mahmood Yakubu, the chairman of INEC, revealed on Thursday that 87.2 million Nigerians had picked up their PVCs.
Yakubu stated that over 93.4 million voters are listed on the voter rolls and that INEC will continue to update this list using technology in the future. In addition, he stated that 93.3% of people collected their PVCs, leaving 6.7% of them—6,259,229 cards—uncollected.
On Saturday, 25 February, the electorate participates in selecting their next president for the next 4 Years as well as members of their respective regions that will represent them at the Senate Assembly and House of Representatives.