The highly awaited undisputed heavyweight title battle between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk has been canceled, and Anthony Joshua, the two-time heavyweight champion, has weighed in. Joshua, scheduled to meet Jermaine Franklin on April 1 at The O2 Arena, sees a silver lining for boxing fans, showcasing the intricacies of bout negotiations.
“It’s just crazy,” said Joshua, who lost his heavyweight belt to Usyk in September 2021 and failed to win in their rematch last August. I don’t make things public, so it’s good that people start noticing what happens during talks. It’s great that people can witness the s*** that people have to put up with to fight. Usyk and I had two successful battles. It’s completely insane.”
In terms of a future battle with domestic opponent Fury, Joshua stated he isn’t sure it will happen. He said he would not wait for Fury since other excellent battles are available. If Joshua wins Franklin, Eddie Hearn, Joshua’s promoter, already plans a fight between Joshua and Fury.
The scheduled megafight between Fury and Usyk, which would have crowned the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000, was pronounced dead when Usyk’s management abandoned discussions after months of arduous talks. Alexander Krassyuk, Usyk’s promoter, said that Usyk had agreed to a 70-30 purse split in his favor but claimed that Fury had put more demands into the mix.
Following the cancellation of Tyson Fury’s fight against Oleksandr Usyk, Eddie Hearn hopes to restart discussions for a long-awaited clash between Fury and Anthony Joshua. Hearn feels that the Fury vs. Joshua bout might return if Joshua defeats Jermaine Franklin.
Joshua has previously indicated his dissatisfaction with match talks, citing the challenges in securing fights with Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder. However, he says that he will not pursue a fight with Fury in the future.