On the heels of the release of BLK VINTAGE: THE REPRISE, Austin-based artist BLK ODYSSY shares the video for “GHOST RIDE” directed by madebyJAMES (City James & Darrin James). Through the gaze of an oracle, the visuals of “GHOST RIDE” portray a cloud of smoke guiding BLK ODYSSY and friends to a sermon led by Mereba.
Speaking on what the video is meant to represent, City James says, “Every summer there is a “cloud of disappearance” that fills the air in our inner-city neighborhoods. Niggas get murdered or taken to jail on a regular occurrence and by the end of the season, all we are left with are the memories and flickering flames at your corner candle light vigil. This piece is dedicated to exploring an all too familiar feeling in the black experience while carefully not triggering or leaning into trauma porn for the sake of consumerism. We are to speak to our stories and provide new ways to engage in our history and our future.”
This Saturday, BLK ODYSSY will begin his headline North American tour with support from Eimaral Sol. Across 16-dates, BLK ODYSSY will perform at Atlanta’s The End, New York City’s Mercury Lounge, Los Angeles’ Moroccoan Lounge and more before wrapping up with a hometown show at Austin’s Antone’s Nightclub. Tickets available HERE.
BLK VINTAGE: THE REPRISE is the definitive 6-song expansion of his debut album BLK VINTAGE released last year, including the tracks “SUICIDE DOORS,” Baby Rose-assisted single “COMPLEX OF KILLING A MAN,” and “BENNY’S GOT A GUN,” featuring Benny The Butcher and George Clinton of Parliament-Funkadelic. BLK ODYSSY was named one of NPR Slingshot’s 2022 Artists To Watch and Spin stated, “BLK VINTAGE’ and ‘THE REPRISE’ embrace various strains of Black music without losing cohesion.” The reprise edition presents more sides of Juwan as a songwriter, coloring in the broad perspectives he touched on with his debut with intimate stories of Black experiences. The new songs feature guest appearances from the likes of Mereba, Baby Rose, Benny The Butcher and one of Juwan’s personal heroes George Clinton of Parliament Funkadelic.
Following the initial album’s release, BLK ODYSSY toured alongside Brasstracks and TOBI, and completed a separate East Coast run alongside Cordae, bringing his widely-praised live show across the country. BLK VINTAGE, which was named Austin Chronicle’s #1 album of the year, bares BLK ODYSSY’s heart and soul on each track – it’s a body of work steeped in personal tragedy and his experiences as a Black man in America today that are meant to be a clear and direct testament to people like him that it’s okay to shed any hesitation and truly feel and express yourself.
BLK ODYSSY BLK VINTAGE: THE REPRISE June 24, 2022
- BLK VINTAGE (INTRO) (feat. Grace Sorenson)
- NINETEEN EIGHTY
- BENNY’S GOT A GUN (feat. Benny The Butcher & George Clinton)
- SUICIDE DOORS
- HANG LOW (FT. James Robinson)
- BIG BAD WOLF/SOBER (feat. Eimaral Sol)
- YA NO PODÍA SALIR
- GHOST RIDE
- BLK REVOLUTION
- COMPLEX OF KILLING A MAN(feat. Baby Rose)
- THE REPRISE (feat. Charlie Stacey)
- DRINKING GOOD (feat. Eimaral Sol)
Watch “GHOST RIDE” featuring Mereba and listen to BLK VINTAGE: THE REPRISE above, check out full tour routing and album details below and stay tuned for more from BLK ODYSSY soon.
Upcoming Live Dates
- 8/13 – Atlanta, GA @ Aisle 5
- 8/14 – Nashville, TN @ The End
- 8/16 – Washington, DC @ Songbyrd
- 8/18 – New York City, NY @ Mercury Lounge
- 8/19 – Philadelphia, PA @ Philamoca
- 8/25 – Detroit, MI @ Pike Room
- 8/27 – Chicago, IL @ Sleeping Village
- 8/28 – Minneapolis, MN @ 7th Street Entry
- 8/30 – Denver, CO @ Larimer Lounge
- 9/3 – Seattle, WA @ Barboza
- 9/4 – Portland, OR @ Holocene
- 9/8 – San Francisco, CA @ Café Du Nord
- 9/9 – Los Angeles, CA @ Moroccan Lounge
- 9/27 – Austin, TX @ House Of Blues
- 9/30 – Dallas, TX @ Club Dada
- 10/3 – Austin, TX @ Antone’s Nightclub