Streaming has mostly displaced CD, but the CD isn’t dead just yet. In fact, there appears to be some revival for the CD right now. According to multiple reports, for the first time in 17 years, CD sales are up.
Adele, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, BTS and Olivia Rodrigo, among others (the complete list is below), have provoked a radical revival for the CD. And for lovers of vinyl, there’s more than enough reason to celebrate.
Below are top-selling CD albums in the United States in 2021
- Adele, 30 (898,000)
- Taylor Swift, Fearless (Taylor’s Version) (263,000)
- Taylor Swift, Red (Taylor’s Version) (237,000)
- Carrie Underwood, My Savior (217,000)
- TOMORROW X TOGETHER, The Chaos Chapter: Freeze (215,000)
- Taylor Swift, Evermore (213,000)
- NCT 127 – Sticker: The 3rd Album (211,000)
- BTS, Map of the Soul: 7 (210,000)
- Olivia Rodrigo, Sour (195,000)
- BTS, Be (187,000)
With her album “30,” Adele takes the driver’s seat among artists creating a new renaissance for the CD. Had the album not been released last year, the number of CD album sales would likely have followed previous patterns of record lows. Instead, her CD sales alone account for nearly 2.15% of all CDs. It remains to be seen if the revival will continue in the New Year or if CD sales will slump again.